Tuesday, February 17, 2009

slow-fast

I was noticing in Ribofunk the way Fillipo wrote the book was very smart, in the way that he weens his audience into his made up fantasy world, the stories start out as just interesting and you slowly start to engage and understand the characters and their world. And then in every new chapter he adds more about the world Ribofunk is featured in. I think he does this so that the audience doesnt just get offended by this world and dismiss it. For example if he were to put the McGreggor story in the beginning of the book, or Streetlife in the beginning of the book I wouldnt understand his world at all, and I would probably want to dismiss it. This is why its different from "The Ti cket that Exploded" because it doesnt ween its audience into the world it just kicks us into it, unprepared and unready, which makes us in turn unaccepting to the fantasy world.
I cant help but to ask if our world will end up like Ribofunks world and if eventually we will get splices that are a certain percentage human, these splices are treated like slaves almost, I especially saw this in street life, and I think that the reason he went back to his master was because he knew nothing else, no other way of life. I think if we did have splices humans would end up mistreating them and abusing them, dominating them just like everything else in our world now.

1 comment:

  1. It is very much an orchestrated piece--he wrote most them over the years and published them in magazines--see the copyright info at the front of the book

    ReplyDelete